By now I’m sure many of you have seen this neat little “Shop The Post” feature when visiting some of your favorite blogs. You may be wondering: “How do I add shop the post to my blog?”. Well you are in luck because today we will be going over to to add shop the post to your blog and the great news is it’s super easy! You’re gonna love it!
So let’s first break down what this “Shop The Post” is for those of you that may not know. I am sure you have seen this really neat feature on fashion and lifestyle blogs where they have a really cute cute pictures of their outfit or their home within their blog post that they took and at the end of the post there is a section that says something along the lines of “Shop The Post” and there you can actually see the items they are wearing in the post pictures or the items from their home decor images. It’s a neat feature because so many times we read blog posts from fashion and lifestyle bloggers and we wonder “where did they get that, it’s so cute”. Well with shop the post you can see where they got, or something similar and you can even purchase it.
So, as a blogger, why would you want to add “shop the post” to your blog? Well a few reasons:
1. Your readers will love you for dishing out your secrets (that is unless you don’t want to share). For the most part bloggers with a large following or bloggers who go on to have a large following have a way of connecting with their audience. Their followers look to them for fashion or home advice/guidance but when you can share where you get your items it takes that connection a step further. Your readers are likely to think “Awwwwww, she love us and wants to help us” so to speak! There is nothing worse than leaving them wondering and most of the time someone is going to ask anyhow.
2. You could make a little money! The way it works is if readers purchase through your “shop the post” links you make a small commission. Now, I’m not saying you are going to get rich but if you have a large following and a decent amount of followers purchase items through your shop the post links then it could surely be a good small source of income.
3. It looks professional and gives you a good boost in the “I know what I am doing” department. Let’s be honest, as bloggers we learn as we go. Even when we think we know it all we learn something something else. Keeping up with the latest blogging trends isn’t easy but hey we try our best. The shop the post widget gives your blog a cool vibe that steps up your game!
So if you are a blogger wanting to add the shop the post widget to your blog lets get started:
The first thing to know is that the shop the post section is a widget. There are 2 companies I know of that offer this widget. The first is Shop Style Collective – this is the company we will use in todays tutorial on how to add the shop the post widget to your blog. The second is rewardStyle/LikeToKnowIt this platform is hard to get accepted into as an influencer. You have to have a larger following and some other criteria. You can certainly try but in my experience its not easy.
So the first thing you will want to do is sign up for an account on Shop Style Collective.
Once you are all set with your account follow along with the steps below:
Step 1: From your account dashboard click on the “Product Widget” icon.
Step 2: Search for the items you want to add to your widget. You can search by different criteria over on the left or just start typing the description into the search box. When you find your item or something close to it click “add to widget” Repeat until you have all the items you want in the widget.
Step 3: After you add all the products you want in your widget click “next”.
Step 4: Configure the settings of how you want your widget to be displayed on your blog.
Step 5: Click “Publish”
Step 6: Click the “Copy Embed Code” to grab the code you will add to your blog.
Step 7: Click “Save” this adds your widget to a list so you can edit later if needed.
Step 8: Add the code to your blog. See below for adding the shop the post widget to WordPress or to Blogger. Be sure to follow directions for your corresponding platform.
To add the shop the post to your a blog post on WordPress open up the post you want to add the widget to.
- Be sure you are on the “text” view window by clicking “text” this is important or the code will just look like code when you publish.
- Decide where you want the widget to be displayed and click your mouse at that spot. Then click “code”
- After you click “code” add the code you copied from ShopStyleCollective (right click and then chose paste)
- Now you need to close the code tag by clicking “/code”
Update and preview your post you should now see your shop the post widget in your blog post.
To add the shop the post to your a blog post on Blogger open up the post you want to add the widget to.
- Be sure you are on the HTML window by clicking “html” this is important or the code will display as code and not as a functioning widget.
- Click within the post where you want the widget and then right click to paste the code you copied from ShopStyleCollective.
After this you should save/publish your post and you will see your new “Shop The Post” widget!
A few tips:
- If you use “read more” aka post excerpts and you want the “Shop The Post” widget to appear on the homepage just add the code before the page break. Most who use post excerpts manually put in the page break so you would add the code before that. If your theme does this manually you won;t easily be able to add them you will need to contact your developer for help.
- You can also add a widget to your sidebar, just create a widget as we did above and add it to your sidebar in an html widget.
- If you can’t find the exact items that you own use the closest thing. For example you bought a pair of skinny ripped black jeans from Target but Shop Style Collective doesn’t have them listed just search for “skinny ripped black jeans” and use the closest thing. The pint is to offer the look.
- You will want to go in every so often and make sure items have not expired or are no longer available you can do this by visiting the section below found in your Shop Style Collective account (you would click on “Sold Out Products”):
If you are search of a good fashion or lifestyle WordPress theme or Blogger template be sure to check out our affordable premade blog designs: