Well I must admit I am not yet sold on the new Facebook Timeline layout, especially as a designer I know many people loved having a landing page for their business or blog but with the new Timeline layout the rules are a bit different. If you previously had a Facebook landing page or wanted a Facebook landing page here is what has changed with the new Facebook Timeline:
1) You can still create a landing page, though it may be of much less assistance to your company or blog as it used to. By default anyone who likes your page will automatically be directed to the timeline, you can no longer choose a default landing page. What does that mean? You use to be able to choose your default landing page so you could set your landing page as your “Welcome” page now it will by default be your timeline but you can link a badge/button/app outside of Facebook directly to an app attached with your Facebook account. (View Facebook info on this)
2) Your landing page will no longer have the tabs across the left side. This means that there is no way for viewers to easily check out other parts of your Facebook page like your wall now”Timeline” it is pretty much a blank page and no longer a page within your Facebook set up. This is not very productive for gaining new followers. Word is, Facebook never really liked the idea of landing pages so they pretty much are trying to bland them out and it’s working! Below you can see what a Facebook landing page looked like before the switch over to the timeline and after the switch:
3) Now in place of the landing page you must rely heavily on your “Facebook Cover” to promote your company BUT there are some strict rules! As stated by Facebook you can not include on your Facebook cover:
Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section
References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”
You can view the full info here. So there you have it, be looking for some cool Facebook covers I know many people have already jumped on the design aspect of that and not to worry we too will eventually offer Facebook covers as well! As for Facebook landing pages we will still make them upon request but we will no longer list it as a design option we will instead design a Facebook cover and a badge in place of a Facebook landing page.
A few other important things to know about the new Facebook timeline:
- The new timeline is mandatory. If your Facebook account has not yet changed over to the new Timeline design they should be automatically switching you over very soon!
- You have 7 days after they switch you to all to get all your permissions in order and clean up your new design before it gos live. I hear it’s a mess for those with tons of pictures and status updates.